Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2024

Touched By His Noodly Appendage

[Click here if you've yet to welcome the Flying Spaghetti Monster into your heart and stomach!]

Near out house, there a several car dealerships, which have the requisite flailing noodle men out front:


via GIPHY

I was curious whether I could make a simple model of this system that still showed the interesting dynamics. The way I imagined it was a series of joints stacked on top of each other with fixed length, but able to bend left or right. Gravity will bend each joint according to the distribution of mass above it, and the puffs of air will straighten each joint as it passes through.

Since I'm using only 20 nodes, at first I tried to make the pressure changes move between them smoothly, but I couldn't find a good way to do that without adding a bunch more complexity to the simulation, so instead I just had the pressure move to the next node on each step. The air comes in periodic bursts, which I modeled as a square wave, which turns on and off at some frequency. When I tried this model, I got a bit too much flailing, and my noodle person was spinning crazily around the anchor point, so I realized I needed drag.

There are two typical models for drag, both proportional to the object's velocity, but one linear and the other quadratic. I tried the linear case initially, but that wasn't strong enough, so I switched to the quadratic. I makes sense that we would be in the high-drag case, since this is flimsy plastic sheeting pushing against air.

If you'd like to make plans before opening your own dealership, you can find my code here, or you can sit back and watch some joyous flailing from your own home:

No comments:

Post a Comment