Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2021

Birthday Bifurcation

Today is my 32nd birthday, and since 32 is 2^5, or 0b100000 in binary, I've got binary trees on my mind! A binary tree is a way to order data, and assign labels to groups. The typical structure is that you have a collection of connected nodes. Each node branches to two nodes below it, usually representing things less than, and greater than the head node. In the case of my life, we can consider things before and after I was 16, then things before and after I was 8, and so on, splitting in half each time. For example, here are all the places I've lived:


Because there's a green dot at the 1/2 level, we can tell I lived at least half my life in Ashfield, and the red dot at 1/8 means it took more than 12% of my life to get my PhD!

I'm now 10 years out from my cancer treatment, and so life sans brain tumor is growing in size:

On a lighter note, I'm now 4 years into marriage with a wonderful woman, without whom I could not have made it this far:


Marika and I have only been together for 1/8 of my life so far, but she is a bigger part of my life than I can ever express. I look forward to many more birthdays together to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment