Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Drifting Apart

I'm finally settled here in my new home of Ann Arbor, MI, although last night I lost power in a large thunderstorm, and it's not due back until Monday night.  I'm sitting in a local coffee shop with nothing much to do, so I figured I'd end my silence here by talking about an interesting feature of my new apartment.

I've found that the floor where I have my computer desk is slightly sloped, which sometimes causes my wheeled office chair to drift away from the table.  What's interesting is that it only happens under certain circumstances.  In order to roll back, the wheels must be pointed close enough to the direction of the slope that gravity, the force rolling it down the slope, can overcome the rolling friction created by imperfections in the wheels and the floor.

We can define an effective slope for the floor based on the direction relative to the full slope that the wheels point.  If we call the full slope θ and the deviation from the straight backward direction φ, then the effective slope is
Using this, the force exerted by gravity is
where m is the mass of the chair (plus anyone in it).  Frictional forces generally depend on the normal force between two surfaces.  In this case, that's
Plotting these together as functions of φ gives something like
where the green line is F and the red line is N.  Anywhere the green is over the red, the chair will roll.  Varying θ changes the crossing point; for sufficiently small angles, the chair will not move at all.  Also note that frictional forces are usually some fraction of N, so the red line will likely be lower than shown.

With luck, my power will be back on sooner than scheduled, but I'll try to keep posting regardless...

4 comments:

  1. I'm confused, maybe because you only graphed out to π/2 and I'm not familiar enough with sinusoidal graphs to visualize the rest myself.

    You said the green line is the force exerted by gravity. How can it be varying like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only went to π/2 because that's when the wheel is perpendicular to the slope of the floor. Larger angles would just be a reflection of what I plotted.

    The green line is only the part of gravity that pushes the chair down the slope. That's why it goes to zero at π/2 when the wheel no longer points downhill.

    (For any picky physicists out there, I'm aware it's not really gravity pushing, but the normal force from the floor. It doesn't really make any difference in this case, and only makes things more complicated.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I thought that the red line was the normal force (N)?

    This post seems simple enough that I ought to be able to follow it completely, but I'm missing too much physics. Maybe you could revisit this some time and make it about 6-8 times as long, to write at a high school level of physics?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it the case that the frictional force will be some function of mg(theta cos phi)? Consider the case where the caster surfaces and floor are some really low friction material vs, say, rubber. Wouldn't that make a difference? Also, the friction in the chair bearings has to come into play, eh?

    ReplyDelete