Pages

Sunday, April 16, 2023

Da Breeze of Debris

I recently saw a blog post suggesting publicly available datasets good for testing analysis techniques. Paging through them, I found the US Government's data server included NASA resources, and a connection to my own research occurred to me: One of my colleagues at the University of Florida has been working on simulating the effect of micrometeorite impacts on the LISA spacecraft. At a recent meeting, he was discussing the direction the meteorites might hit the spacecraft – They're generally falling inward toward the Sun, while the satellites (and the Earth) are orbiting around the Sun:

According to this model, very few meteorites should hit from the side facing the Sun. Less obvious though is the other 3 sides: Do more hit the side opposite the Sun, or is there a greater effect from the orbit taking us into the meteorite's path?

NASA's datasets include a record of meteorite landings on Earth, spanning the last 2 centuries, but unfortunately only provides the year, which means we can't find the Earth's position in the orbit. I almost gave up, but then I found a list of Fireball and Bollide Reports, which gives the precise date. Unlike the previous table, these are objects that completely burned in the atmosphere. We can look at the locations where these events were reported, using one of the map projections I discussed a while ago:

These appear fairly evenly distributed, but this plot doesn't consider the location of the Sun. Using the Astropy package, we can find the location of the Sun for a given date, then find the angle from the Sun to Earth, to the direction of the report:

This would seem to suggest that the most common angle is 90°, which corresponds to the orbit taking us into the meteorite. However, there are some significant caveats to this conclusion: It may be that there's a bias in this data, since it's easier to see a streak across the sky, while a meteor coming head-on would just appear as a point. Then there are the limitations of my analysis: The table only give the date of the events, not a time, so I may be introducing bias by choosing midnight. I'll be curious to see what results my colleague turns up, and maybe I'll find more datasets in the list to play with in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment