Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Keep on Truckin' Correction

When I woke up this morning, I suddenly realized I had made a mistake in yesterday's post – I was looking for a maximum in the E/s function, when really I wanted a minimum. It turns out that for a > 2, there is such a minimum. We can find it by taking the derivative of Q with respect to s.
Then to find the minimum, we set this to zero and solve for s.
Plotting this, we see that as a increases, we approach the limiting case of stretching your legs as far as they can go, but for a near 2, you're better off with smaller steps.

1 comment:

  1. In a much earlier age, say "the Middle Ages", a walking vagabond ,traipsing casually through your village, was deemed a "Sant Terre", a "Holy Lander-bound" pilgrim best encouraged to set a more brisk pace in his quest, hence a 'Saunterer' ,one who casually ' saunters' along his path.Hence, pick up your pace and keep walking Hombre. See you on the Trail.

    ReplyDelete