Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Atomic Terrier

The differential equations from yesterday continue to stump me, so they may have to wait until I'm back at my main computer, where I can try some more advanced calculations.  This ancient laptop is just too clunky...

In the meantime, I thought I'd share something I noticed about our dog Darcy the other day.




If you look closely at her license...



...you'll see she's number 238.  Uranium-238 is the most common isotope found in nature, and is used in breeder reactors to make Plutonium.  It is also used in nuclear weapons to increase the yield (that is, make it more powerful).  An appropriate number for so volatile a dog...

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree!

    Linda T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interested in your thoughts vis-a-vis, "the Mayan Calendar".... ending.What comes after? etc?Taking notes.This will all be U-238 valuable stuff some day. Wasn't there a U-boat designated U-238? Keep up the Baker St detective attitude.S.Holmes would be proud.....Regards DW...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mayan Calendar ending? No different from all the Y2K stuff. It's an arbitrary milestone that has no bearing on reality.

    ReplyDelete