Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Deed is Done

Today was the last day of my proton radiation therapy.  This marks the end of my cancer treatment, though I still have a few check-ups and a lifetime of periodic MRIs ahead of me.  I couldn't have made it this far without the incredible support of all my friends and family, but there are a few people that I think deserve special recognition and thanks:
  • My optometrist, Brian Wadman, who first noticed my swollen optic nerve and sent me for the MRI that revealed my tumor.
  • My neurosurgeon, Ziv Williams, who evidently heeded my warning that my brain is about all I have going for me.
  • My oncologist, David Ebb, who planned my treatment and kept a watchful eye over me throughout the ordeal.
  • My nurse, Patti Scott, who would smile and laugh with me as she drew tube after tube of blood samples from my chest-port.
  • My radiation oncologist, Shannon MacDonald, who was a match for my geekiness as she explained the inner workings of the MGH cyclotron.
  • My mother Sally, who kept at work during this difficult time, providing the top-notch health insurance that allowed me to be treated.
  • Most of all, my father Steve, who has been my roommate, nurse, chef, personal trainer, secretary, biographer, chauffeur, and friend during the worst 7 months of my life so far.

2 comments:

  1. Well put, Orion! I am so happy this is over and you still have a lot more going for you than your incredible brain, like your smile, fortitude, wisdom, open mind and open heart. I'm so glad for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that all of us have only our brains going for us. Orion's just got a rather nice one.

    Way to go, little brother! The road ahead of you isn't an easy one, but you are again the master of your own destiny.

    ReplyDelete